Old 11-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Pam

Default How Often to Water Flower Garden?

GrampysGurl wrote:

I would like to know how often that I should water my flower garden.

A well planted one should require little to no watering,

That is a pretty broad statement that will not be applicable to a large part of the
country. Unless you are into total xeriscaping (and in some areas, that makes a
good deal of sense), ALL plants need water. How much and how often will depend on
the plant, when it was planted, soil conditions, weather and a bunch of other
variables. Even drought tolerant plants need a couple of seasons of regular
irrigation before they are able to become established and develop root systems
extensive enough to support them through dry spells. And plants like roses,
clematis and a large assortment of fairly common perennials (as well as most
annuals) will need regular and frequent watering during the growing season to
perform well and not be stressed.

There are certainly ways one can reduce watering needs, but simply saying a "well
planted" flower garden shouldn't require any is inaccurate and misleading to new
posters.

pam - gardengal