Old 11-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Raised beds for hoop house question

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 20:38:54 -0500, "harold steig"
wrote:

If I build a hoop house about 18 ft by 48 ft and install raised beds in it,
Would heavy duty rebar be able to hold the side of the raised beds in place
?

I think so.

I am thinking of beds being 10 to 11 inches high and it would be easy to
drive 5/8 rebar into the ground about every 4 feet to keep the sides up.

Also pressure treated wood would not pose a problem would it.?

Yes, it's a problem.

See:
http://www.dph.state.ct.us/Publicati.../pressurtr.pdf

There are alternative pressure-treating methods that are
said to be less of a problem: they're more expensive and
might need to be special-ordered. We just got some planks
(we're also building a hoophouse), and they were more
expensive and we needed to special-order them. They weren't
CCA-treated - I don't know what they were treated with (my
husband dealt with this and he's not home at present).

You can find a lot of info on this if you Google as follows
(note punctuation - do it exactly like this):

"pressure-treated" + edible

any feed back would be very helpful I want to get the house as close to
right as possible the first time.

We do too.

You've seen the various plans/directions for building a
hoophouse that are available online?

If not, Google on 'hoophouse' and you'll come up with lots
of plans and directions to choose from.

Also, these folks are selling hoophouses at not a whole lot
more than it would require to build them yourself (you still
need to supply the lumber for the end-walls though):

http://www.hoophouse.com/

We didn't buy a kit from these people but we may regret it -
we'll see. I know someone who has a hoophouse built from
one of their kits, and she's very happy with it.

Pat