Old 11-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Tim

Default Cuttings from wild berries

On 11 Jun 2003 12:12:56 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
"Colin Davidson" writes:
| "Tim" wrote in message
| newsprqlibtpqwxhha1@localhost...
| | I've never tried cuttings, but can you dig up a few shoots? I did
that
| with
| redcurrants last and dug up a new shoot late summer-ish, and they
are now
| doing very well. Tim.
| | Cheers for that. I'd rather avoid digging shoots out if I can help
it,
| essentially I'd like to minimise any damage done to the wild plants if
it's
| possible. All else fails I guess it's a reliable option, though.

It is no more damaging than taking cuttings for any plants that
sucker, such as raspberries. And it isn't very effective for
plants that don't! I didn't know that redcurrants suckered but,
if one does, it is a perfectly respectable method. Probably
illegal, of course.

Well, the ones in my garden don't produce the classic suckers like
raspberries do, or at least not as obviously, but they do produce young
vigorous shoots from the base, or just around it that can easily be snicked
off with a spade or trowel.