Old 11-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Theo Asir

Default Spring Flush in Connecticut June 11,2003

"Zack Lau" wrote in message
Our roses are finally blooming--first blooms yesterday
from Zepherin Drouhin, Iceberg, Brilliant Pink Iceberg,
and Demitasse. Demitasse is in fine form this morning

Have had my eye on this rose for some time now.
How big does it get for you? How does it take heat?

with a nice display. Last year ZD bloomed from start to
finish.
The winter was exceptionally harsh--it looks like our
neighbor lost a beloved 40 year old Butternut tree--it was
found in a children's sandbox... UConn is busy trying to
find surviving Butternuts in Connecticut. Only two of the

Thought the butternut was in a similar problem as the
American Elm & Chestnut.

The beech is still quite common around here
but mostly in isolated thickets.

The Elm is making a strong comeback.
The local parks planted several hundred Valley Forges
in their rec areas. I saw several hundred elm seedlings
sprouting this year for the first time. Hope a few make it.

HTs we planted last year survived--Love and Simply Marvelous.
(boxed J&P roses) Surprisingly, we didn't lose a single rose
out of the 13 planted the previous year, including Moon Shadow,
which is reported to be winter tender.

I planted Fragrant Cloud, Sunsprite, Betty Boob, and
Cherry Parfait (3 gallon pots) on Sunday, along with a
small shrub--I can only manage five big holes a day.
We were surprise how big the roses get--the new ones
have more space (we tried to get 16 roses in a 4x24 ft bed)

Talk about a tight squeeze, I'm planting a 3'x32' bead right now
and I'm going to use 7 roses. Kathleen, Danae & pink prosperity
for the shady spots, Jac Du Pre, Rugosa alba, april moon & frontenac
for the not so shady areas.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City