Old 11-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Harry Boswell

Default Fescue in Mid-South GA?

On 10 Jun 2003 21:53:06 -0700, (brianb) wrote:

"V_coerulea" wrote in message .. .
this sound plausible?

I plan to plant fescue...I've heard it's good in the shade. My only
issue is that it gets to be 95 and humid with nighttime lows of 70-72
degrees for a week at a time in the summer. Not Florida humidity but
dew points of upper 60s (as opposed to Florida of mid 70s). Is that
too hot for fescue? On the other hand my lot is in the country, high
on a hill, and reasonably well shaded, so it's a little cooler. If I
water it alot in the summer will this keep fescue alive? Or will
"burn" it out faster?

Thanks for any advice whatsoever.

Thanks for advice, all.

I live on the western edge of the state, the Alabama border. It's
mostly clay here. I think I'll have the soil tested for acidity.

Centipede is another choice. My reason for thinking fescue would be
better is that fescue supposedly does better in the shade.

I think you'd have lots of trouble getting fescue to grow. I'm in
Mississippi, and tried it in a shady area a few years ago - it pretty
much burned out by July. The heat is just too much for it. For
shade, St. Augustine is our best choice in the South, but you'll have
to sod it, or at least use sprigs.

Harry Boswell