Old 12-06-2003, 12:08 AM
Anita Hawkins

Default [IBC] Bug identification

Ben - if you've done enough looking around on the web to think that
these are midges (and it sounds like a good guess to me, though I
haven't seen yours), you might have also noticed that they are NOT
harmful to plants. So relax, eh?

No need to go spraying with anything, unless they'e bothering you with
their biting, in which case use a regular insect repellant with DEET,
on yourself. Some midges are biters of mammals as adults (no-see-ums),
but the larvae of all apparently eat algae and aquatic plants. I've
only seen them near water myself. Likely they were in/on your juniper
because with the constant moisture this spring, you've got some algae
growing on the trunk. Heaven knows everything in my collection is
growing something green and fuzzy - even the stones!

Here's a good site for midge info:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2129.html

Regards,
Anita
--
Northern Harford County, Maryland, USDA zone 6
"I like winter trees against the sky, I said.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++