Old 12-06-2003, 04:32 AM
Dwayne

Default Getting started with fruit trees and bushes

"sher" wrote in message
om...
My husband and I are thinking of starting a small home orchard. We
think we have room for 9 - 10 trees. My in-laws have always had fruit
trees, so we'll be getting a lot of advice from them and also the
nursery, but I thought I'd check here also to see if anyone has some
good ideas on how to get started. I believe I am in USDA hardiness
zone 5 or 6, Sunset climate zone 3. The nurseries around here mostly
sell dwarf, late-bloomers. We are interested in planting pears,
peaches, nectarines, plums, cherries, and maybe apples. If you can
answer any of my questions or direct me somewhere else, I would
greatly appreciate it. Any additional tips would be appreciated as
well.

1) I'm looking for a good reference book and have seen mixed reviews
on The Backyard Orchardist. Any other books I should investigate?

2) When varieties are listed as cross-pollinators, does it always go
both ways? For example, I read that a Bartlett pear would pollinate
an Asian pear, but I could not find anything to confirm that the Asian
pear would pollinate the Bartlett.

Keifer is ond that will bear fruit without a second one, but will do better
if there is one. Also, it is less suceptable to cedar blight. Bartlett is
one of the worst. Raintree Nursery can guide you in making the right
decision, and they honor their guarentee. I cant find their catalog right
now, but they are in Washington or Oregon.

3) I know that peaches and nectarines are related. Will they cross
pollinate each other?

I doubt it, but dont know for sure. Again, ask someone that sells them.

4) What are the risks of planting fruit trees in the summer? Most of
our nurseries will not be restocking for fall planting and we'd like
to get them in this year. I know we should plant early in the morning
when it's cool.

If you want a guarentee, you have to buy from a nursery and they probably
wont sell anything now until spring or possibly fall.

5) I'd like to also plant some raspberry bushes. Do they do OK along
a fence, or does that inhibit harvesting the backside of the plants?
Also, how wild can they get? I don't want them sending shoots into my
neighbor's yard.

Plant them in a row at least 20 feet from your neighbors yard, and leave
enough room for you to mow on both sides of the bushes. That way you can
control the spreading roots to some degree.

Dwayne

Thanks for all your help.

~ Sher