Old 12-06-2003, 04:32 AM
GD

Default Wildlife and ponds

Most U.S. turtles can be handled in the manner described without
danger. Softshell turtles and common snapping turtles will inflict
serious damage to the hand grasping the carapace just behind the neck.
All turtles can inflict painful wounds if handled improperly.

Bob Adkins wrote:

On 8 Jun 2003 07:43:17 -0700, (mattie) wrote:

Guess what. If I ever pass a woman in the middle of a road & she's
trying to help a snapping turtle who got run over I will at least tell
her the danger of an inexperienced person trying to do a good deed! No
body did that for me. Dozens' of cars passed by. Luckly, I still
have ten fingers.

You did the right thing.

You can grab the turtle by the carapace with both hands. Grasp just behind
the neck and in the rear. I have never seen one able to bite when held in
this position, but there's always an acrobatic turtle I suppose. :-)

Bob