Old 12-06-2003, 10:20 AM
Michael Savage

Default tiny flies and peat-free compost

Hi all

Didn't turn up anything on Google on this one, except an unanswered query in
a longer post about Banana plants. Wonder if anyone can shed light on this.

I have had tiny flies (3-4mm, with wings held back along the body)
skittering about on the surface of some of my pots for some time -
especially the wetter ones (I have some carnivorous plants, sundews and
butterworts) and the peat-free compost. I have had a suspicion they may have
attacked the roots of some plants which have failed suddenly.

I came back from holiday to find the peat-free pots and growbags (so
assiduously watered by my neighbour) absolutely heaving with them. I put
down yellow sticky cards at ground level and they were black within an hour.
I also moved pots of sundew and butterwort to ground level and they've had a
huge feast.

The peat-free compost is B&Q's made from composted wood - can be quite
fungusy.

So what are these flies? Are they 'fungus gnats' (in my insect book these
are larger, about 7-8mm)? Why am I attracting/culturing them? What can I do
to control them - and are they causing damage?

Michael S
(urgling again after spending far too much time sorting out a new kitchen)