Old 12-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Simon Avery

Default Rockeries

"Pam Morris" wrote:

Hello Pam

PM I am thinking of creating a rockery in my garden mainly so I
PM can hide the lumps of chalk dug out when creating my now
PM finished horizontal-plant bed.
PM Any hints or tips?

A few big stones looks better than lots of small stones.

Use local stone unless it's particularly unattractive (despite being
on dartmoor I'm in a pocket of the ugliest ore-stone around).

Traditionally you build it in tiers, but I don't like that look
myself.

Density of stones depends on type of plants. 90% stone generally
favours hot/dry loving plants. 50% or less and it's just normal
growing area with a few stones in it.

If you're rural, ask a local farmer if he has a stock. I've had 12
tons of lovely weathered granite walling and rockery stone from one of
mine that he picked off his fields. Can also be useful to have him
around to move the bigger stones into position with his machine,
assuming access.

If you have to do it by hand, use planks and levers to move big
stones. A hired tripod can also be useful.