Old 12-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Pickle

Default tiny flies and peat-free compost

"Michael Savage" wrote in
message ...
Hi all
I have had tiny flies (3-4mm, with wings held back along the body)
skittering about on the surface of some of my pots for some time -
especially the wetter ones (I have some carnivorous plants, sundews and
butterworts) and the peat-free compost. I have had a suspicion they may

have
attacked the roots of some plants which have failed suddenly.

The maggots of these sciarid flies can damage the roots of pot plants (I
lost a venus fly trap to them, they ate the bulb)
Apparently that new vine weevil killer (Provado) will see them off and I
have treated my pot plants with it. So far I have not been plagued with the
little beggars.

Lisa