Old 12-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Pam

Default just when you think its dead...

gregpresley wrote:

I'm very sorry about a clematis that probably got clematis wilt or whatever
they call it last summer. It didn't sprout this spring, and I assumed it was
a permanent goner. When I pulled it up, it had an extensive, seemingly quite
healthy root system - oh well.......I gave some thought to tucking it back
in the ground, but decided I didn't want to leave it another two or three
years to see if it might leaf out again.

Greg, clematis wilt is seldom fatal. The plants usually will recover and send up
new growth, sometimes that same season, sometimes not for another year or two. I
frequently drag home clematis vines that have been returned to the nursery
because they have "died". A little TLC and some patience, and I've got a pretty
good free collection going now :-))

pam - gardengal