Old 12-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Tom Jaszewski

Default Fescue in Mid-South GA?

On 11 Jun 2003 22:47:55 -0700, (brianb) wrote:

It would help it y'all would say where you're from!

I've heard the thing that kills fescue is not only the daytime heat
but the high nighttime temperatures. Around here it can be 72 degrees
at night for a week at a time in the summer.

It seems much of the information posted here is from the realm of
"I've heard".

Perhaps the gentleman or lady from Georgia should have this discussion
with their local extension service. Tall fescue, Festuca arundinacea,
is generally not recommended south of Atlanta.

A little more searching and you'll find that some species of fescue
are considered invasive weeds in Georgia

Warm nights are not likely the problem unless they are also very wet.
More likely that it's all but impossible to control turf grass
diseases when hot and humid.

In the desert SW we often have a month or more of 90F+ nights and days
to 115. Some fescue does well in full sun. Our humidity occasionally
gets up to 35% and that is precisely when the chemical based lawn
managers have high disease problems.