Old 12-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Iris Cohen

Default [IBC] Bug identification

So, what's the differnce between a midge and a gnat? BRBR

From Merriam-Webster online:
Main Entry: midge
Pronunciation: 'mij
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English migge, from Old English mycg; akin to Old High German
mucka midge, Greek myia fly, Latin musca
Date: before 12th century
: a tiny dipteran fly (as a chironomid)

Main Entry: gnat
Pronunciation: 'nat
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English gnętt; akin to Old English gnagan
to gnaw
Date: before 12th century
: any of various small usually biting dipteran flies

If you have little creatures resembling midges hovering around your plants,
they may be fungus gnats, which is something entirely different. With all the
rain we have had, they could multiply more than usual.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)