Old 12-06-2003, 01:44 PM
animaux

Default Any permanent alternatives to organic mulch?

If you are using it as a cushion for your children when they fall, I don't
really recommend mulch because it can cause splinters. If you go with mulch,
cedar will break down slower than pine. Optimum thickness is probably at least
three inches both under the swing set and for the flower beds, as well. IMO

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 01:54:33 GMT, "John" wrote:

I just got a quote for replenishing mulch on our flower and shrub beds. It
was high enough to prompt me to look for a "permanent" solution. That's
all.
While I am on this topic, if I am to replenish with organic mulch,
which is the best kind - cedar, pine needle, etc?
Morever, what is the optimum thickness?
One quote showed 3", while the other listed 1.5-2" (and claimed anything
more was a waste).

"animaux" wrote in message
.. .
I'm not sure about rubber, but you can use decomposed granite. It will be

hard
to penetrate once it establishes itself and becomes impermeable. Pea

stones can
be used, but you chance losing them is a good gully wash comes through and

you
are on a slope. The idea of mulch is to break down slowly and replenish

the
soil with adequate food for micro and macro organisms. Is there a reason

why
you want something permanent?

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 04:54:50 GMT, "John" wrote:

Is there any alternatives to organic mulch that is "permanent?"
I am thinking (wild guess here) something like recycled tires,
platstics, etc that does not need to be replenished.
If there is an alternative, is it cost effective?
Where can I get it?
Is it as effective as organic mulch in water conservation and
weed control?
Any suggestion would be appreciated.