Old 12-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Colin Davidson

Default Cuttings from wild berries

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 240.11...

Removing a rooty cutting of a redcurrant will not do it any more harm to
the parent than taking an ordinary stem cutting, and does give you a head
start. They usually root from the tips of the stems, so if you take a

rooty
tip off for yourself, the remainder will shoot quite happily from the next
bud down.

Raspberries won't mind either, though as they usually spread from the
bottom you may need to be a bit more vigorous with them to get your rooty
cutting out. Look for a stem that has run a bit away from the clump.

I am not sure about blackcurrants and gooseberries, though I doubt you

will
kill the blackcurrants whatever you do to them - very robust plants!

To encourage you, I can report that the raspberry plants I disentangled
roughly from my hedge and planted in a well-fertilised row have twice as
much fruit on this year as the plants I bought mail order.

Cheers for that... I'm much encouraged by your success. Now all I need is
the allotment people to get back to me