Old 12-06-2003, 07:34 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Default OT - birdnapper racked with guilt :-(

Well done David

Robert
"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
: Hi,
:
: we have had an injured juvenile Jackdaw in the garden - couldn't fly and
was
: hiding in the shrubbery at the bottom of the garden and coming out to
circle
: our little pond.
:
: The parents were keeping an eye on it and shouting at our cats if they
: ventured out into the garden.
:
: We first saw it around 09:00 and it was still there at 14:00 - conclusion
: was that it wasn't going anywhere soon.
:
: Rang the Blue Cross who put us onto a local women who rescues wildlife.
:
: She came and checked the bird out, and agreed with us that it wasn't fit
: enough to survive outside, so she has taken it to her aviary for R&R and
: some antibiotics.
:
: She will bring it back and release it here as soon as it has recovered -
she
: thinks it will recover fairly quickly.
:
: Very strange - the bird was bald on the back of its head and also had some
: damage at the base of the tail on the top.
: The knees were abraded and bleeding slightly.
: The bird could flutter but not fly.
: I have never seen a bald bird before and am puzzled over the reason.
:
: The guilt is due to the constant searching by the parents who keep flying
: round calling, perching in trees and on our roof.
:
: No way to tell them that junior is in good hands and should be back in a
few
: days.
: I just hope that they remember the little tyke when it is recovered.
:
: Meanwhile I am haunted by the harsh cries of "Ba**ard - what have you done
: with my baby!" on a regular basis :-(
:
: Ho hum
: Dave R