Old 12-06-2003, 08:09 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Bug identification - Neem Oil ??

Thanks for the detailed explanation Jim.
I'll attempt to follow your recommendations to the letter.
However, this is becoming a serious issue with my Elm.
A few days ago it looked great with lots of new growth.
Yesterday and today I've noticed more and more yellow leaves

with small
black spots.
In addition, the new growth is curling up and looking sad.

A note from Nina a few minutes ago suggested that I may have a

form of Elm
fungi.
I guess I'll have to find a place that can supply me with the

appropriate
chemicals to combat this.
I assume it's a controlled substance and I won't be able to

find it at my
local Wal-Mart ???

I doubt you can find much of anything. If you've had the rain
everyone else on the east coast has had, it undoubtedly is a root
problem. The problem with fungicides and bonsai is:

1. They (the fungicides) don't usually work, and
2. You have to buy a concentrate that will make umpteen zillion
gallons (enough to spray an orchard), when all you need is an
ounce or two. This is NOT cost effective.

Much better to buy another elm and plant it is soil that drains
VERY well.

WalMart sells fungicides for gardeners. You can buy one and try,
but _I_ would not waste my money.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - This economy
is a wholly owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord
Nelson, 1995

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++