Old 12-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Mike Lyle

Default sickly looking habanero

(MOO112) wrote in message . com...
Under normal circumstances, I would have transplanted the habenero
into the yard somewhere, and let nature run it's course, good or bad.
However, the plant was a gift and has great sentimental value. This is
the reason I am trying to revive it. Unless this is the natural path
this species takes, I am going to try to restore it's previous health.
On a side note, the ants didn't like the watering the other day, and
packed up. Where they went is another question.

16" pot sounds big: unless your neighbour's contented plant is in the
same size. Here in Britain I use 12" for tomatoes, and only 9" for
peppers (grown as annuals except once as an experiment when I got a
weak crop in the second year). Under these skies the root system
wouldn't get a growing season long enough to fill such a big pot. It's
easy to believe that's different where you are! but *if* the roots
don't reach all through the pot you could get stagnant water in the
potting mixture, which would rot the roots -- which might well give
you brown tips on the leaves. But maybe it was only the ants to blame.

I wonder if it'd be worth trying some cuttings: I've even done it with
tomatoes, more for fun than anything else. That way you'd preserve and
even multiply the sentimental link.

Mike.