Old 12-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Yellow leaves on my Chinese Elm ?

--- Nina Shishkoff wrote:
.

Jim is being very hard on fungicides, but basically
he is correct (if
it's sold to the general public, that usually means
it doesn't work).
I never use fungicides on my bonsai. However,
there's a difference
between what's the best thing for people with just a
few plants to
do, and what's right for a nursery owner. Nursery
owners *have* to
spray for some things. Whereas you can just as
easily pull off
diseased leaves.

I beg to differ about fungicides. I had been loosing
pines on a regular basis. Last year I said what the
heck and dormant sprayed a sickly pine with lime
sulfer. I saved the pine.

Well, I allowed as how you might get a benefit from a
PREVENTATIVE spray of a fungicide BEFORE the fungus's growing
period. But they're not much good at CURING a fungus.

I believe it had some sort of fungus (dull green scaly needles)

It may not have been a fungus (and it MAY have been a fungus; I
dunno what pines get in California) but lime sulfur is used as a
general insecticide as well (read the label ;-) and it may have
cured something else. ;-)

I'll stand by my claim that the stuff Mr. and Mrs. Gardener can
buy with "fungicide" on the label is, in general, pretty darned
useless -- especially if the fungus is currently doing its thing.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - This economy
is a wholly owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord
Nelson, 1995

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++