Old 12-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Andy & Lucinda

Default How to smooth a bumpy lawn?

We had a loooong discussion about this at work one day. I live in a
rural setting and my lawn is anything but smooth. I rolled several
times throughout the spring with a 500-lb roller, always within 1/2 day
of any rain. I barely put a dent in it.

My neighbor, on the other hand, has a HUGE concrete roller - thing's
gotta weigh over 1,000 pounds. His yard is smooth as glass - he just
flies around on his tractor while I'm getting bounced out of my seat.

Our conclusion was - 1. Big, heavy roller. 2. You have to stay on it
- like every other week, pulling the thing along while you mow. That
said, I can't comment on how healthy the compacted soil is to your
lawn. My personal opinion is that it shouldn't be too big a deal if you
aerate it now and then.

Now if I can just get some Iraqis to come over and drag a huge bronze
statue around my yard at the end of a chain, it might smooth out
some...don't even care if they take turns riding on top.

Andy
--
***remove "spambomb" from address to reply...***