Old 12-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Rusty Mase

Default Any permanent alternatives to organic mulch?

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 20:50:40 GMT, animaux
wrote:

I've seen glass mulch. It comes in many colors. The only problem
now is I have no idea where I saw it.

The problem is the weight. It weighs about 85 pounds a cubic foot so
shipping it is a problem. A cubic yard would weigh more than a ton.

The edges were all smooth. I recall they were tumbled as a stone would be to make
smooth edges.

Yes, it depends on the machinery. Most waste glass is processed with
Hammer Mills and that appears to wear away the sharp edges. I am
using a Ball Mill and that does the same. I have ground up a ton or
more of glass bottles in the last 3 years and have not been cut by it
once. Even doing the final processing by hand.

But it is the metals in the glass I worry about and I would not
recommend soil contact without detailed studies on what comes out of
the glass and how fast it is released. That is why lead glass crystal
is considered a hazardous waste. Red glass can be colored with
uranium oxides - so you get the drift.

Rusty