Old 12-06-2003, 11:20 PM
joe

Default just starting out, ? about pumps

Megan Wilson wrote:

would anyone
be willing to provide me with the pros and cons between the
submersible/non-submersible pumps,

I have a 5000 gallon pond and a submersible pump in my skimmer box. I went
with this because I didn't want to listen to the pump humming while I was
sitting near my pond. Also, when I was investigating, it seemed like you
needed to deal with making sure non-submersible pumps were primed. As it
turns out the latter issue wasn't as involved as I thought. If you could
place you pump away from where you will spend your time, maybe the noise
wouldn't be a factor.

The other issue with submersibles is if they break, will they leak oil - not
good, but I think this is a rare issue with today's pumps. One of the major
factors for us (here in California where we got just finished getting f****d
in the ass by power companies) was power usage. While initially more
expensive, those kilowatt hours add up quickly.

Good luck
Joe