Old 13-06-2003, 12:08 AM
Go Fig

Default Floating Clumps of Flourescent Green Algae

In article ,
"Lee Brouillet" wrote:

Well, I just ordered a phosphate test kit, a HIGH nitrAte test kit,
something called Bio Denitrator (supposed to deal with the nitrAtes) and 2
gallons of the Pro-Line Phosphate Remover. And because I live (reasonably)
close to AES, I should have it tomorrow when I get home from work. That
should keep me busy for the weekend (grumble, grumble, grumble). I hope it
works.

Do you have lots of Water Hyacinths... lots ?

Most of these phosphate products are good at removing low levels to
zero, like in a marine reef environment (but RO water is a far better
choice).

Can you vac the bottom ?

jay
Thu, Jun 12, 2003

Lee
"ajames54" wrote in message
On 12 Jun 2003 09:46:54 -0500, "Lee Brouillet"
wrote:

I've got to shorten this post, or it will get out of hand and I won't be
able to follow it any more.

SNIP...
lets treat this as an aside then...

Do you know what your phosphate levels are? There are commercial
products available that will remove phosphates from your water...
in many cases they are prohibitively expensive, and many are some
form of aluminum oxide (which may damage your Biofilter)... Kent
Marine makes one called "phosphate sponge" which claims to bring
phosphate down from 1 ppm to .05 ppm within a matter of hours...
and not leach aluminum into the water. The cost is about $10 per
100 gallons.

I wonder if GD knows... but it has always struck me that a good
aggressive protean skimmer should work to remove the free
floating varieties...

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."