Old 13-06-2003, 12:33 AM
cpemma

Default heron question

wrote in message
ganews.com...
snipped
We've never seen a heron, either (the
flamingos make the buffet look occupied, perhaps), and I'd figure a heron
would scarf a bunch of smallish fish at a time, but what's left?

Last summer about a dozen small goldfish just disappeared over a period of
weeks, and on one occasion my wife spotted a magpie on the pond wall with a
fish at its feet. This year we've added 3 small gold Ogon koi, 2 have
disappeared. 3 more drab Ghost koi added at the same time are still around.

I'd not heard of magpies taking pond fish, but they have the reputation for
liking shiny things, and a google groups search found other cases of them
thieving fish here in the UK. They're also very common in our area. (