Old 13-06-2003, 12:45 AM
Rodger Whitlock

Default tiny flies and peat-free compost

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:16:32 +0100, Michael Savage wrote:

I have had tiny flies (3-4mm, with wings held back along the body)
skittering about on the surface of some of my pots for some time

So what are these flies? Are they 'fungus gnats'

Probably.

Why am I attracting/culturing them?

Moist decaying organic matter.

What can I do to control them

I have found the ordinary pyrethrin spray sold for use on
houseplants gives good control of the adults. If you spray
regularly -- once a week, perhaps? -- as further larvae mature
and adults emerge, you have a good chance of totally eradicating
them.

and are they causing damage?

I've read that their larvae nibble growing tissues, but don't
quote me.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada