Old 13-06-2003, 02:32 AM
John Hines

Default Ducks and ponds?

Larry wrote:

I live in Baltimore city so I was very suprised to find a small duck
sitting by the pond this morning when I left for work. I would have
taken a picture but I scared him away before I could take it. He
seemed really indignant that I would disturb his morning interlude at
the pond and he made a slightly angry quack at me before flying off.

My question is will ducks eat fish (I have a few small goldfish) or
hurt plants (Lily, Clover, Umbrella Palm, and Water Lettuce)? The
duck was very cute but it is not welcome if he is here for breakfast.

I've not had any problems, with a pair of mallards that have come back
each spring for the last couple of years, they come around twice a day
to feed. Apparently they live a few blocks over in the village park
lagoon.

I put out shelled corn (whole kernels) for them, which the squirrels
also eat.