Old 13-06-2003, 03:44 AM
Bob H

Default just starting out, ? about pumps

Budget.....Pond???? hmm I think that is oxymoron....just dig a hole and pour
money into it :-)...but really, I have to agree with Joe, I went with
submersible because I just didn't want to hear the pump, I am sensitive to
low pitched sounds like those of a pump but ultimately, it's a matter of
initial cost vs. operating costs vs. needed flow volume. I have a 5000+
pond running a pump of about 4800gph (@Head) It is costing me about $20 a
month to run but power here is still pretty cheap. You can see my pond at
http://groups.msn.com/TheOldGardenPo...nw?albumlist=2

"Megan Wilson" wrote in message
Hello all!

I am really and truly just starting out, as in no hole as been dug, but

the
area where the pond is going has been roughly surveyed. Last spring i

built
a small 100 gallon indoor pond, but i did it very quickly with out doing
much research. this time i want to do it right, and i'm trying to figure

out
how much money its all going to cost me so i can make a budget. Since i
don't have any sort of hole dug, i can only go by my theoretical

dimensions
to guess the volume. My concern right now is pumps (which is better
submersible or not, and how much its going to cost). and as you may have
noticed i'm starting to ramble so i'll cut it short. My questions are,
what's the best way to approximate volume (using some online calculators
i've gotten numbers ranging from 1,500 to 11,000 gallons)? and would

anyone
be willing to provide me with the pros and cons between the
submersible/non-submersible pumps, or at least point me in the direction

of
finding such information? thank you in advance!

megs