Old 13-06-2003, 07:44 AM
Malcolm

Default NZ flatworms was mega slug indoors

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Malcolm contains these words:

It's odd, isn't it, that we find slimy things a cause for "yuck". I have
no phobias involving wildlife but I still prefer not to pick slugs up in
my bare fingers.

If you think slugs are horrible, try NZ flatworms :-(.Even slimier. In
fact, don't pick them up with bare hands because their copious slime is
supposed to damage skin...maybe it's starting to digest it, like it does
earthworms.

snip

NZ Flatworms arrived on Arran about 4 years ago.

They've never damaged me when I've handled them though I agree about the
amount of slime. NZ flatworms were first found on Islay in the late
1980s and are presumably still here, though fortunately not in my
garden.

It occurred to me that buying turves for your lawn might be a very
good way of importing NZ flatworms to your garden....so take care.

Any soil you bring in, whether turves or pot plants, the latter probably
the most common method of transport.

For anyone wanting to know more, see:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/pestnote/flat.htm

which includes addresses to which to send suspected ones for
identification.

--
Malcolm