Old 13-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Peter H

Default How to smooth a bumpy lawn?

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news
In article ers.com,
"Peter H" wrote:

You could roll it, although this method is frowned upon to some degree

by
the pros these days or you could topdress it w/ topsoil or tripplemix.

The back yard is fairly new at 4-ish years old. I know it wasn't this
bumpy when I seeded - I rolled it as prep for the seed. The bumps are
hard enough that I don't think rolling will work to smooth it out. I did
consider topping but am unsure how to smooth that - unless you mean to
completely submerge the existing lawn under the new soil.

When you topdress the new soil eventually settles down into the sunken areas
around the bumps. This way the lawn is eventually raised up to the level of
the bumps. It may take a few applications though, since if you put down too
much soil you will smother the lawn.

Peter H