Old 13-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] The Great Show Debate

We're having one -- sorta -- here in Tallahassee.

The debate is whether to have it indoors or outdoors.

For years now, we have had it outdoors in the sculpture garden of
a local art gallery (which also lets us use their art education
room for our monthly meetings, etc.). It is a lovely setting.

BUT . . . green on green isn't the best way to view bonsai. And
setting up flimsy bamboo screens as backdrop, while adequate, is
scarcely attractive. And, the show is in early May -- sometimes
late April -- and it can get HOT. The sun beating down on trees
can warm up the pots and soil to dangerous levels (unglazed brown
pots sometimes get too hot to hold comfortably. And, we have a
2-day show, so for security reasons have to take it all down at
the end of the first day, then set up again the next morning.

There are several auditoriums (auditoria, for those who think
English has Latin roots ;-) that we can get for free or for a
nominal fee -- but they're a bit off the beaten path.

Anyway, I'd like to hear from other club members about where your
shows are held and your thoughts about outdoor vs. indoor.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - This economy
is a wholly owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord
Nelson, 1995

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++