Old 13-06-2003, 03:20 PM
John Rutz

Default Rule of thumb for fish stocking explanation

Just Me \"Koi\" wrote:
If I read you right, then you are saying that the minimum size of a pond for
ease of movement of the fish is a 1000 gallons? Does dimension of the pond
as to the 1000 gallon then come into effect?

To follow up with the 100 gallons per fish will, are you then suggesting
that for your 1000 gallon minimum pond one can keep 10 Koi to start with,
and add one Koi for every 100 gallons added to the pond? For example the
old rule will yield 11 fish for a 2000 gallon pond, while my understanding
of your statement will suggest that 2000 gallons will hold 20 Koi.

I am sooooooooo confused

--
the way I understand it as Koi like to swim they need the 1000 as a

base just to give em the space they need to exercise
the 100 g per fish rule is to help aleviate their byproducts and keep
the amonia nitrite levels manageable with minimal filtration

so for your 2000 gal example you should only have 19 Koi

as many of us have added massive filter systems of one type or another
to process the fish poo amonia nitrite nitrate we have/can add more
fish than that and push our systems to the max.

Problem with that is when something goes wrong you stand a great chance
of losing every fish in the pond

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com