Old 13-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Sam Hopkins

Default Rule of thumb for fish stocking explanation

As long as you have a free movement pond dimensions don't matter. Now if you
had a pond that was 100 feet long and 1 foot wide then yeah dimensions
matter.

As for your second question can 1000 gallons hold 10 Koi? Yeah. But with
2000 gallons your nutierent level will rise half as fast, 3000 gallons it'll
raise 1/3 as fast. So the more water you add the lazier you can be.

Sam

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
If I read you right, then you are saying that the minimum size of a pond

for
ease of movement of the fish is a 1000 gallons? Does dimension of the

pond
as to the 1000 gallon then come into effect?

To follow up with the 100 gallons per fish will, are you then suggesting
that for your 1000 gallon minimum pond one can keep 10 Koi to start with,
and add one Koi for every 100 gallons added to the pond? For example the
old rule will yield 11 fish for a 2000 gallon pond, while my understanding
of your statement will suggest that 2000 gallons will hold 20 Koi.

I am sooooooooo confused

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .
Hi Everyone,

Every so often I see people post asking for the rule of

thumb
stocking fish. Usually the response is 1,000 for the first koi and 100
gallons for each additional koi. One has to wonder why the first koi is
hogging up 1,000 gallons while each additional koi needs only 100 to be
happy. Most people assume that this has to do with nutrient loading of

the
water which is and isn't true.

In the aquarium world the rule of thumb is 1 inch of fish per gallon.

It's
possible with the use of a fluidizer and big filter to get 12 inches per
fish per gallon. This 12 inches of fish per gallon is also achieved in

some
fish hatcheries. It'd be possible to get a 12 koi to live in 1 gallon of
water.

I raise alligator gars. One thing I can say is that there sure isn't

much
fish but they sure are long. One of my gars could live in a 5 gallon

tank...
but he wouldn't be able to turn around. Instead he lives in a 75 gallon
tank.

When you hear "1,000 gallons for the first koi and 100 gallons for each
additional koi", what you should really hear is, "You need 1,000 gallons

for
all of your koi to be able to turn and move around and swim. You need

100
gallons of water for each koi to deplete their nutrient load and limit

the
size of your filter to something manageable".

Sam