Old 13-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Chris Hogg

Default Soft soap

Would some kind person admit me to the mysteries of using soft soap as
a mild insecticide?

What constitutes soft soap in this context? I presume washing-up
liquid isn't appropriate. Do I have to cut a chunk of a piece of
'Knight's Castile' or 'Imperial Leather'? Is soap for washing clothes
the right stuff such as Persil or Lux?

How much soap should I add to how much water (grams/litre,
ounces/gallon or whatever)?

How does it work? I've seen one suggestion that it clogs the breathing
tubes of the insects as it dries. Another explanation is that it
simply lowers the surface tension of the water and this then fills the
breathing tubes, so they effectively drown.

All advice gratefully received.

--
Chris