Old 13-06-2003, 06:44 PM
lms

Default Question about pruning roses

In article , says...

In article , lms
wrote:

Moonlight,
a rose named Moonlight should be a no-brainer, should kill
everything under it, not have to worry about gd grass. I
think Iwas taken in by the line in the catalog that went
something like'lights up the night garden like searchlights'.

Yeah, some northern roser used to wax poetic about Moonlight
in thenight garden. Smells good. How the hell did he keep
it alive, you wonder. HM's aren't terribly hardy, Regina tells me.

I either got the HM attribution wrong or the Regina attribution wrong.
She tells me she isn't responsible for this nugget, so either she and I
were talking about something else or it was someone else. How's that
for great authority for a proposition? Somewhere that stuck in the data
banks, but I'll be damned if I know where I heard it.

every aspect of Moonlight was a surprise and disappointment.

Not a great rose, but it has the most horizontal, layered, make like
an Egyptian look of any rose I grow. Would look good in Martha Stewarts
garden. eg

I think her dreams of being on the cover of the J$P catalog have been
quashed. I still like her perky perky blonde hair-----do, but I think
has about 400 million new wrinkles.

I will
faithfully cultivate any rose I plant, meaning I will keep the tall
grass generally out of its face while it's getting extablished, but
at some point I expect the rose to help me out some. This one was
simply content with bloodying my knuckles and the reward was way
below the bottom line of what was necessary. So I left it to its own
designs, which were totally predictable. I think names like
Moonlight should be reserved for roses which grow everywhere there's
moonlight. After this experience, right or wrong, I have left all
Hybrid Musks on the catalog pages. It's one of the more ambiguous
rose classifications in the first place-- the parentage of Moonlight
is Trier x Sulphurea. Trier is a Hybrid Multiflora and Sulphurea is
a Tea. So where's the Musk? Tea Roses aren't particularly known for
their hardiness? hahahaha

I thought the bunch were derived from Trier. Lambertinianas. Next
time we turn around the ARS is going to reclassify them as small
flowered shrubs. I like them, every one. Even Buff Beauty was good
this year,14 inches tall and 7 feet around pos. For me, HM's smell
the best on the air of all roses. From 12 feet, 15 feet if it's hot.

see, that's what I expected. I detect Trier from great distance.
I'm sure the Hybrid Musk fans like to call them Hybrid Musks, sounds
all rosy, but here are just a few. I guess we can assume 'seedling'
is some kinda Hybrid Musk. hahahaha

Buff Beauty
seedling x William Allen Richardson (N)
Munschen
Eva x Reveil Dijonnaise Cl HT
Eva
Robin Hood x JC Thornton
Robin Hood
(Rob in de bois hahaha) Seedling x Miss Edith Cavell (polyantha)
Aurora
Danae (Trier (HMult) x Gloire de Chedane-Guinoisseau (HP)) x Miriam (HT)

one with an unlikely name, Autumn Delight, sounds real nice 1933,
Bentall, white, red stamens

Bishop Darlington Aviateur Bleirot (N) x Moonlight (HMult, T)
and it just goes on and on. Bentall had a lot of them, he was smart
and didn't list the parents. actually the ars already calls Hybrid
Musks shrubs, kinda like calling a gallica
an OGR.

good god. I heard a grown cottonwood does 2500 gallons a day.

Ya think? They're always the first to go when the water table drops,
but I never knew for sure whether it was that or simply that they're
not long lived.

They're not long lived. 100 years is an extremely old one. The
guy who put the roof on the house is going to charge me $350 to take
down this one that's about 15 years old, it became
the first killer tree. Dumbest thing I ever did letting that
thing grow. They're dangerous as all hell here, don't know about
there. You can sometimes just see water pouring out of them. The
other day when there were tornadoes up north we had a little
micro-burst here, scared the living hell out of me, I was replacing
siding on the house where I've ruint it with water, and was
underneath that thing. I'm not going to water the house anymore.

Everywhere the Mormons settled in the desert west, the
planted cottonwood along the river and stream beds. Many many
are dead and dying.

They're thick along the Rio Grande, we live about a half mile
away, east side. There are few things short of a volcano that
sight of several of those cottonwoods going up all at once in a bosque
compare to the fire, they just explode, huge huge balls. Witnessed
the one that went all the way from Belen to the Del Apache from
bed upstairs, ripped through at night. There's just pasture between
us and it and it was all green, wasn't too much scared. But it
jumps theriver when those trees explode, so it was surely in the
back of my mind. The Gov just declared us all a disaster area,
drought, so all this isabout as primed as it can be.
And this was a good one. The little fish just today kicked the city
of Albuquerque's ass. The silvery minnow. Too bad, I guess they'll
just have to postpone those next 300,000 people that wanna move there.
I think they're going to secede.
No, they'll get those same guys that appointed Bush prez to take down
the poor little fish.

Santa Fe is selling rain collecting buckets. hahahahaha.
for 40 bucks, they cost them 80. We have no such water
problems in Socorro, I have a sand-point well goes down 20 feet
and water.

the year we moved here I thought 'what a pretty little weed' and
better that than nothing. That lasted not very long.

And my family is worried about ants.

have you heard about the peanut butter remedy? I haven't tried it,
have been meaning to.

No, and how do you keep the dog from eating it, whatever it is?

dogs aren't parta the equation. that's what I need, dogs with ant
bites all over their tongues. the ants I'm thinkin about have
a hill on one side of the horse barn, dogs don't go there. I'd
have to stand there and watch it though, I don't know what horses
do with peanut butter but I have a pretty good idea.
I've heard the ants take it down in their little underground
apartments and choke everybody at dinner.