Old 13-06-2003, 06:44 PM
JennyC

Default Soft soap

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
Would some kind person admit me to the mysteries of using soft soap

as
a mild insecticide?

What constitutes soft soap in this context? I presume washing-up
liquid isn't appropriate. Do I have to cut a chunk of a piece of
'Knight's Castile' or 'Imperial Leather'? Is soap for washing

clothes
the right stuff such as Persil or Lux?

It seems to be liquid soap :
http://www.e-garden.co.uk/Shop/garde...ductID=2974&de
ptID=353&ptype=3

How much soap should I add to how much water (grams/litre,
ounces/gallon or whatever)?

My recipe - one squirt of liquid soap + one dollop of methalated
spirits in about 1 litre of water. Shaken not stired :~)

How does it work? I've seen one suggestion that it clogs the

breathing
tubes of the insects as it dries. Another explanation is that it
simply lowers the surface tension of the water and this then fills

the
breathing tubes, so they effectively drown.

See above :~)

In my experience, washing up liquid probably works just as well, but
tends to be more 'frothy'

Jenny