Old 13-06-2003, 07:08 PM
paghat

Default white plastic birdbaths

In article ,
pamfree (Zemedelec) wrote:

Could you improvise with a large white bowl and an old pedestal lavatory
bottom? I've done this with a ceramic birdbath whose pedestal the

movers broke
(and a year later, I had to replace the old lavatory but kept the pedestal,
so....) This also gets around the problem of tipping, as the pedestals (check
your local architectural salvage place) are quite heavy.
zemedelec

Although on the surface of it it sounds potentially tacky, I've seen
vintage bathroom sinks used as garden planters to surprisingly attractive
effect, & it ought to work just as well as a birdbath. Plus since you'd
just be using the pedestal with an actual bowl on top, then no one would
even know it was once a sink, & I can just about picture it being much
nicer than nine out of ten commercially made birdbaths. In fact I think it
sounds wonderfuly clever & I'll likely be looking at salvage-store sink
pedestals a bit differently now, especially as I've lately been pondering
the possibilities of container-gardening with drought-tolerant plants that
might not suffer if I forget to water the troughs & containers often
enough.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl: