Old 13-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default Question on PH

Now, if ya want a "technical" answer he the water coming out of your tap
is not sufficiently oxygenated, probably heavier in CO2 that DO. It comes
from wells, being pushed through pipes, etc. Now, once it gets in your
pond, it's exposed to oxygen and plants and all that good stuff. CO2 is
acid, which makes pH drop. Once the CO2 is aerated out, the pH rises. For
an experiment, take a 5 gal. bucket of water straight from the tap and drop
an airstone in it. Betcha dollars to donuts that by tomorrw, the pH will be
higher than it was when you first put it in the bucket!

BTW, 8 is a very good pH: I wouldn't mess with it if that's where it wants
to be!

Lee

"Shelly" wrote in message ...
Hello Ponders,
I have a small pond (~400 gal) and I have a Ph problem. The Ph of the
city water here is 7.4 but after a few days in my pond the Ph goes to
8.0. I'm not sure why, my guess is maybe there's a rock in there that's
elevating the Ph. I feed my fish tons of food and I have it a "little"
bit over-stocked which you'd think would lower the Ph, and then after a
few days it's back up to 8.0. Should I leave it alone or should I put
some peat in the filter system? What do you suggest? The fish seem
fine, but I do get algae blooms every time it rains? (I hear that with
higher PH algae thrives??)

Thanks for any information
Shelly