Old 13-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Boron Elgar

Default Fruit growth in NY Suburbs

On 13 Jun 2003 11:28:39 -0700, (Ray G.)
wrote:

I recently purchased a home in Queens, NY. In the backyard there is a
peach tree with roughly 100 growing peaches, a small fig tree with
mostly shade, and grapes which are growing horizontally along a fence.
I also would love to add a pear tree from a pit that I cracked and
have the seed from. I am new to all this so any suggestions or tips
are very much welcomed. Thanks in advance.

If you have the room for a pear tree, go get one & do not rely on a
seed. The seed will not necessarily grow to the fruit variety from
which you obtained it, and it may not be a variety hearty to Queens.

If you have access to a car or can manoeuver by train, there are an
awful lot of wonderful nurseries on Long Island and I bet there are
in Queens, too, or you might be able to find what you want online.

Thy asking around here for local recommendations & advice:
http://ny.gardenweb.com/forums/nygarden/

Oh...protect that fig over the winter....I lost mine here in NJ last
winter(.

Finding plants that grow well in your zone is a great step up on
success. That said, I am an inveterate seed planter & will take almost
any kind of pit, pip or seed & drop in a bucket of dirt just to see
what comes up.

Boron