Old 14-06-2003, 12:56 AM
RichToyBox

Default Garbage Can Clay Filter

I really think Kathy is onto something BV. The fabric is similar or the
same as the siltation/erosion control fabric used along side highway
construction sites to keep the clay and silt from leaving the construction
site and flowing down stream. It will allow some clay to pass through, but
as it builds up, it becomes more efficient. Eventually it becomes so
efficient that it won't pass water, so get more than one and when the pump
slows way down, change it.
--
RichToyBox

"zookeeper" wrote in message
BenignVanilla wrote:

I tellin' ya! This stuff just does not want to fall out. I don't want to

add
any more calcite, for fear of over dosing the pond. Water changes, yeah,
water changes.

One thing that I've used to filter out pea green soup algae is a
drainage pipe filter sleeve. Maybe it would work for clay fines. See one
brand he

http://www.carriff.com/products_ds.html#features

The brand I bought is Plastic Services & Products and is available at
our local Home Depot. I used a 10 foot x 4 inch sleeve, doubled it (ran
half back through other half), tied a knot in one end, and used a
plastic strip tie or a wire-tie to attach it to pump outlet pipe. (I
used it going into my filtering barrels, but you could use it for the
pipe going back to your main pond. Stir up the water in the bottom of
main pond, and the filter "sock" should filter out more of the clay.
Good luck!
--
Kathy B, zookeeper
3500gal pond, 13 pond pigs