Old 14-06-2003, 02:08 AM
David Hare-Scott

Default Sweet Basil

"John S. DeBoo" wrote in message
Is there a particular process for drying this or does one simply
pluck the leaves and let them dry? My plants are 1' tall if that
matters any and growing like mad.

--
John S. DeBoo

I pluck the leaves off and leave them to dry in trays in a warm dry spot
and turn them if I think of it. After about a week (or two depending on
the weather) they are dry enough to crumble up and put into a small jar
with a good seal, where they will last indefinitely. Like all dried
herbs they will slowly lose their aroma so I replace them each year. If
you dry too much (or in strong sunlight) they tend to lose their flavour
as the aromatic oils are lost, if you dry too little, that is they are
still soft, there is a risk they will get mouldy in the jar. Dried the
flavour is different to fresh but still very good.

Some people leave the leaves on the stalk and hang the whole thing up
(say on a string), this will work but it will take longer as the leaves
draw all the water out of the stalks before they dry, although it is
nice to brush past them and get the smell on you. I have been told that
this gives a stronger flavour but I have not observed this to be the
case so I use the quicker approach.

David