Old 14-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Mark Anderson

Default Tomato plants in pots

In article says...
I have a plant in a huge plastic pot. Once tomatoes set last year the
plant turned brown. I know I was over watering it then. I was watering
it almost a gallon a day. But the same thing happened this year when I
was more careful.

I wonder if the plastic pot has anything to do with it. The common red
clay pots breath, albeit very little. I can't figure out what else the
problem is.

Each year the thing grew like a monster weed until maturity.

Mind did the same thing last year; grew like a weed and then during
blooming became all ugly looking. The tomatoes were small, about the
size of Roma tomatoes and these were supposed to be Big Boys. I use 20"
wooden pots about 18" deep.

I put my current crop up at:

http://brandylion.com/images/tomatos-061303.jpg

This year I reduced from 6 to 4 plants and put them all in one place and
hopefully they will behave. If anyone has any pruning tips that would
help too. Last year these things were hanging onto and over everything
and they kind of stunk too. Having stinky plants doesn't make it nice to
sit in the garden.