Old 14-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Radika Kesavan

Default A couple of Rupert's roses reported to be cold-hardy in Zone 5

lms wrote:
In article ,
says...

Trier

And here I thought it was pronounced "tri-ayeh" or something!

really now. that's a good one.

Heheheh.

Oh, hey Mack - thought you might like to know this - a woman who posts
from Elmwood, Ontario (Canada, not California) posted on GrowRoses not
too long ago that Kim Rupert's Lynnie survived her winter very well, as
well as Cardinal Hume. She said that all it got was snow cover, no other
protection. She was quite pleasantly surprised since this rose was bred
for the dry heat of SoCal, not the wet cold of Ontario, and needless to
say .

It is a fine rose, is Lynnie, the same colour as Miss All-American
Beauty, but all single and glorious. Vigorous but well-shaped with a
beautiful shape and a really manageabe size: 4 feet high and 5 feet
wide, may be, with no pruning the last three years, in our climate. And
if you are interested in this aspect of the rose, Lynnie has almost no
thorns.

The same poster from Elmwood also said that Purple Buttons too seems to
be quite alive after their winter with no protection, but tiny. It has
got truly beautiful dark purplish red blossoms, sort of like a smaller
version of Cardinal Hume, with the same fragrance too.

--
Radika
California