Old 14-06-2003, 06:31 AM
EJ

Default Waterfall without a pond

Hey Jane,

Lee Brouillet had some good suggestions so I will just try to add a little
to what he has already said.

The first thing I would do is some more research!!! I am the worlds worst
about jumping in with both feet before I know how deep the water is. So with
that said I can tell you, you need to do some serious planning before you
start. If you don't you will regret it later. I like your idea for a
waterfall only project, it would be great for people that dont have the time
for the pond maintenance.

Ortho has a book named "All About Building Waterfalls, Pools, and Streams"
( I have it in front of me now ). By looking at other waterfalls/streams you
would probably get some good ideas of what to do and what not to do. The
list price is 11.95. And IMHO its worth it. Its also full of tips on how to
make everything right the first time.

Tip from the book listed above: A normal 3/4" garden hose (with a pressure
of 40 to 60 pounds per square inch) will replicate a pump of 800 to 900 gph.
It also recommends a flow rate of 150 gph for each inch that you waterfall
will be wide. This is for a 1/2 inch thick sheet of water - you might find
that 50 gph would do for your stream. Its all up to you. I think my
waterfall has more like 100 gph of flow per inch and it looks good to me. It
will really depend on how you build it.

So after you build your stream do the above test and then you have a general
idea of how big of a pump you need. Try to find the pump that uses the least
amount of watts. Even if you have to pay 50 or 60 dollars more for it, it
will save you money in the long run with a lower electric bill.

And a note on when you are picking out your rock.... go for the flat smooth
rocks. They will look the best with a minimal flow.

Holding tank: I would defiantly go for a big holding tank. You might find a
big enough rubbermaid container at walmart.....I have heard of people using
300gal rubermaid containers but I dont know where they got them from. But
the size you really need will depend on how wide and how long your stream
will be. As for the tubing/pipe if your stream is not more than 10' long I
would just use the flexible tubing from Lowes or Home Depot. And you need to
know what size your pump outlet will be before you get the tubing.

I am not trying to discourage you from doing your project ( I hope you don't
think I am trying). I am just trying to help you avoid some of the big
mistakes I made the first couple of times around.

Be sure to take pictures along the way and post links so we can see the
progress.

P.S. I f you do use "Great Stuff" be SURE TO WEAR GLOVES!!!!! Try to find
some that cover your forearms also. I had gloves on and some how or other
managed to get some in my arm hair/skin. That was lots of fun!!!!