Old 14-06-2003, 12:20 PM
Jim McQuiggin

Default cranesbill geranium

"susabean" wrote in
:

I have several cranesbills in my garden. One is shrubby and has
white flowers. The other has blue flowers and was shrubby last
year, but has TAKEN OFF!! this year. It has gone bonkers, and is
taking over my garden! I pruned it back pretty good, and then got
to thinking......is it OK to cut back the cranesbill right now?
I hope so......

I'm thinking its ok, but I guess I'm looking for reassurance I
didn't commit a big blunder. Can't seem to find any info in any
of my books on cutting it back.

I have more than several. There's an area about 10' x 15' where it
serves as ground cover. Yes, this spring they are better than ever!
Must have loved our cold winter. They should finish blooming in
another couple of weeks, at which time I will take my weed string
trimmer to them and leave them about ankle high. Fresh foliage should
grow back and look decent all summer. I may even thin them out some
and plant extras elsewhere (maybe in someone else's garden!).

Jim
Zone 6, Niagara