Old 14-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default Phosphate level

Our watercress took it in the leaves when it got hot. Growth slowed and the
bugs went to town. We run watercress early in the season. We did notice,
however, that it continues to thrve when splashed on by the falls. Cooler
and fewer bugs.

We have noticed that the koi eat less on the parrots feather than the wh.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"zookeeper" wrote in message
Lee Brouillet wrote:
Thanks, Sam. It will be interesting to see what it reads. I have no

plants
in the koi pond; I have some water hyacinth in the waterfall area ...

[with no roots]

Lee, maybe getting some watercress from the grocery store would be the
quickest way to reduce your phosphates. One year I suspended a mesh
basket under my waterfall (above pond surface), threw in two bunches of
watercress from Safeway, and let the roots grow over out through the
mesh into the water. My algae cleared quickly that year and stayed away.
(Note to self: replace watercress that koi pulled out of net ring and

ate!!)
--
zookeeper