Old 14-06-2003, 03:44 PM
keith nuttle

Default Escaped turtle ... your votes please ?

If he took the time to seek out the pond the odds are he found something
about it that he liked. If you move him back, he will probably be back
where he wants within the week.

As for food, there is something there that he likes better that he was
eating in the old pond

Theo van Daele wrote:
2 weeks ago I was watching the fish, and suddenly saw a rather funny head
appear at the waterline. You know when the mind goes "wait a minute,
something wrong with this picture" and then slowly you understand what
happened... one of the smaller turtles had managed to escape from the turtle
pond (don't ask me how !) and wander over to the big pond.

Tried to catch it, but couldn't, and after that I hadn't seen it for a while

Today I suddenly saw it basking at the edge of the big pond:

http://www.wide-o.net/summerpond2003/escaped_turtle.jpg

My question: should I try to catch him (and ruin his summer) or should I
just leave him alone.

Things that speak for taking him back:

. he has been naughty !
. it's not possible to feed him with turtle food, as the koi would eat it
before it hits the water
. they have been known to take a bite out of a fish
. his friends might miss him ;-)

But :

. the little guy managed to get there all on his own, and that deserves
respect
. I know a few ponds where koi & turtles live happily together
. he might take part in the fry control
. I don't think I can catch him anyway
. he will be scared for months probably when I do manage to catch him
. it's quick enough to stay clear of cats (and me)

Should he stay or should he go ? Your votes please :-)

Theo