Old 14-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Nanceemo

Default The Pond Doctor book

I bought Helen Nash's book, after I read here it was a good one. She mentions
several times adding salt to kill algae bloom. I inherited an eight-year old
beautiful pond with the purchase of this home, and here in desert country I'm
having a lot of trouble maintaining it with what little I know. I can't
believe I am reading right ... she recommends two pounds of noniodized salt per
one hundred gallons of water. I simply cannot visualize adding twenty pounds
of salt to an approximately 1,500 gallon pond. What effect would this have on
the plants and fish?

I do have a way too many fish, probably at least 40 in that size pond. I
haven't been able to find a store that wants them ... afraid of disease ..., or
know any one who wants them. My pond is dirty ... I don't believe it has ever
been emptied and cleaned, and I plan to do that very soon. It is lined with
large stones, top bottom and sides. Would taking those out of the bottom and
using gravel be a good idea?

Okay, I will stop, this is getting too long. And I have soooo many questions!
: )

Any help appreciated, and by the way, so is this newsgroup. I read every post
every day and enjoy it greatly.

Nancy in Boise area