Old 14-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Mike Lyle

Default cranesbill geranium

"Jasper" wrote in message m...
It sounds like you have Johnson's Blue (or Johnson Blue or Blue Johnson
whatever the dang this is called --- trying to put it out of my memory). IMO
it's an awful plant, almost a noxious weed. It sprawls all over, takes over
the garden, and is nigh unto impossible to kill. I tried to rid a garden
patch of them over two years ago, and I found some still trying to grow this
spring.

Does anybody really like this plant? I'd really like to know. I imagine that
if you had a big space to fill and liked a bit of wildness, it might have
its uses. Naw!

Could well be Johnson's Blue, or even its wild parent G.pratense,
Meadow Cranesbill, which grows like mad for me except where I want it
to. It seems I see another one or more I didn't know I had every day.
I do actually love the thing, especially when the sun is low and
shines through the petals; and the leaves take on lovely red tints;
but I wish it would do what it's told.

I agree that meadow cranesbill's too wild-looking for the conventional
flower-bed, though. Where I want it to naturalize in quantity is in my
meadow patch.

Mike.