Old 14-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Larry Caldwell

Default Forest Thinning Does Little to Stop Wildfires

(Geoff Kegerreis) writes:

Duh... Decrease fuel load, decrease wildfire risk. It's pretty much a
no-brainer.

Plus, there are wildfires and there are wildfires. Thinning doesn't
remove all flammable material, but it reduces the severity of the fire.

I was up in the Biscuit fire last weekend. People who say it wasn't that
bad haven't been there. I saw burned areas that still don't have a bit
of green showing, after a normally wet winter and a wet spring. There is
literally nothing left living, not even seeds or bugs. That is what we
are trying to avoid.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc